I’ve been tagged by David and Ariel to do this random things meme – though one was for five and one was for eight. Since I’ve got another 200 pages of proofreading to do, I will do this meme right now. They are supposed to be a mix of random and weird. I don’t know how to judge either randomness or weirdness, so here’s 5 – 8 things:
1. I really wanted to have three children, and after conceiving two pretty much on-demand I was gobsmacked to find that we could not conceive a third. I was even more gobsmacked to discover that There Are Reasons. The unconceived child has made me deeply sad, although also somewhat grateful that the first two did indeed come along. I know that I am coming to terms with the missing child, because I have taken Doris Lessing’s The Fifth Child down from the shelf and intend to read it again. Of which more later.
2. I really want to do a PhD, but I can not justify the expense.
3. Last year, on the day I turned 38 we were all walking on the beach at Kangaroo Island and I was trying to convince myself that I was going in the direction I wanted to go, and the mister said ‘well, what would you need to achieve in order to be happy’ (or words to that effect). I said ‘a novel’.
4. The Scientoligists once told the mister he should be a social worker. He had no idea, as he scoffed at them, that living with me he would become one. This one seems like it’s about the mister, but really it’s about me.
5. I do not let my children watch television during the week. Unless I feel like watching Deal or No Deal.
6. I think that the 1000 people going to the 2020 summit sound like a marvellously interesting bunch. And I don’t know why people are scoffing about Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett and Claudia Karvan as if they can’t be interesting, intelligent and visionary people just because they’re actors.
7. I have been trying to do something, but it is not sitting well with my conscience, and I will not be able to follow through.
8. I know that my children are up in the room with the door closed because they are playing their electronic games without having asked me. I couldn’t be fucked going up there and dealing with it.
You’re supposed to tag people here. Tag.
PS Bonus thing: I know the full evolve of Pikachu